Local police officers and firefighters responded to a call Wednesday from a resident at El Bosque, an apartment complex located close to the University. According to Fire Chief Shawn Snider, the resident reported the smell of smoke coming from one of their rooms.
The call reached the fire station at 6:09 p.m. with the first responders arriving at the scene four minutes later. When they got there, what looked like a pot of corn was sitting on the stove, smoldering, Snider said. The tenant of that apartment could not be reached Wednesday night.
No one was harmed, though residents that also live on the first floor evacuated their rooms.
“There was a distinct smell when we entered the building,” Snider said. “But there was no threat to the University.”
Though there was no true emergency, Fire Chief Snider would like to remind students to always have a plan of evacuation should anything ever occur. Some advice he gave was to make sure that smoke detectors are always functioning and that students who are living on the upper floors of an apartment purchase a hook ladder, a portable ladder that can latch onto the edges of windows or rails.
“Jumping out is not a plan. It’s a reaction,” Snider said. “You need to have a plan. Students need to think of their safety.”